Graveyard History

Burials commenced on the east side in 1764 as soon as a grid plan was drawn up. Each plot in the 14 rows permitted 3 stacked burials at 9, 6 and 3 foot depths. Two more rows were added on the west side of the building after the church opened in 1768. By 1782, available grave space was limited. To complicate matters, the convivial relationship with the First and Second Presbyterian churches cooled when the Third hired it first minister, Rev. George Duffield.

 

A “land grab” to expand the graveyard ensued. Third Church purchased a narrow parcel the length of its southern boundary. First Church bought the large lot adjacent to and west of the Third Church property. First Church, however, restricted burials to their members only. Both the burial grounds were united as one by a 1980’s ruling of the Philadelphia Presbytery.

 

It is obvious, as documented in the history books, that Old Pine did not shy away from controversy or the push and pull of local church politics. Nothing has changed today!