Silver Communion Service

Old Pine’s twenty-one piece communion silver service is the earliest known liturgical silver made by a Third Presbyterian Church member, Philadelphia silversmith, John McMullin (1765-1843). In 1798, McMullin is listed as goldsmith at 120 S. Front Street (between Walnut and Spruce Streets), the center of silversmiths in the city.

 

Communion, at the time, was celebrated twice a year. Minutes tell us, “The communion tables were spread with white linens. The Sexton, a reverent man and a prominent figure in the church,, was present to be watchful of good order.” Records indicate communion was received by intinction (dipping the bread into the cup of wine by each communicant) while seated in the pew.